Sunday, February 14, 2010

Redhead Holding Hands (Happy Valentines Day)

I like this picture because it shows two cultural phenomenon that surprised me.
First, the orange/red hair. There was this older guy on the airplane over with us who had dyed his hair and beard bright orange. I thought he must be a quirky fellow until we got off the plane and started to run into the glossy hue on men everywhere. It's henna dyed and is apparently so popular because the prophet Mohammed was supposed to have reddish hair.
The second thing is these two business men walking down the street hand in hand. Men and boys of all ages here are constantly hugging or walking together holding hands, or resting their hands with friendly ease on each others hips and shoulders.
I saw the same thing in Vietnam but I guess it surprises me here because of my preconceived notion that Muslim men are more staunch and less affectionate. I have no idea why I think I should have any idea how Muslim men should behave, but I guess I do.
Anyway, kudos to these anonymous businesmen who unwittingly displayed some of my favorite points of cultural interest.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Carrie G said...

is it only men? or could you dye your hair this color?

Shoecrazy Sue said...

I have been pondering this post. I can't see you going red, so don't! The whole hand holding things is something I have never heard of, very interesting, I suspect it is probably a nice healthy bonding thing.