Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Didn't

You were so encouraging and still I couldn't bring myself to do the sari thing. But just look at this. Even despite my shockingly bad photography skills you can tell that Maria and Anzeli are quite stunning in their saris.


And then look at my goofy scary self with this apparition of Bangladeshi loveliness. I think this picture is reason enough itself for me to avoid saris in the future.


But, if you need further evidence, then listen to this!

Anzeli wears a sari everyday. No matter what the activity or weather she wears the ornate fabrics carefully wrapped around her tiny shirt and bare stomach. One day she explained to me that it's just the most comfortable option. She did squats, climbed on a chair, and jogged a little around the room to show me just how comfortable and movement friendly a sari can be.

The other main dress option here for women is the shalwar kameez. This includes pants, a tunic type top, and a long scarf. This is what Maria usually wears. On the day Anzeli was educating me on the many virtues of sari clad life she paused a moment to ask Maria why she didn't wear them more often. After a long serious discussion in Bangla Anzeli translated the reason why, "Sari make Maria too fat."

Yesterday, as the ladies leaving to their various New Year festivities Anzeli had Maria twirl around to show the overall effect of the shiny sequins and sewn on mirrors. She stopped her mid-twirl so she was facing away from us. "See," she says, pointing at Maria's well concealed backside, "sari make Maria too fat." She discussed this with Maria for a while who sadly nodded her head in agreement. They rearranged the drape of the fabric then went on their celebratory way.

Now I know there is very little chance I'll subject myself to such a revealing outfit among such honest people.

2 comments:

Shoecrazy Sue said...

I am still thinking you would look fabulous in it! They seem like they would be much cooler in the hot weather, so I would be all for a little more air flow! Do get one!

Honeycombs said...

I can't blame you I don't think I would be able to wear one either. I can't take the honesty! You would look beautiful in all that color though.