Saturday, April 10, 2010

Two Angels

Through some rather unpredictable set of circumstances we have become the lucky employers of two house helpers.

Anzeli (my angel in an orange sari) came back the other day. Recovered from both her illness and her heartache of losing her most beloved Dr. Michelle Madam (she said to me, "I cry cry all the time. If Dr. Michelle Madam say you come India with me, I go. I go."). We hadn't expected her back but we were happy to see her.

But, while Anzeli was unwell we had hired someone else. Maria, the young divorcee whose pernicious former husband apparently left her and their two children because he didn't want to pay the medical expenses that having a family might bring. I have felt very protective of and loyal to Maria since the day she fell sobbing uncontrollably on my shoulder.

So, we decided we would have them both. We hoped that maybe Anzeli could share some of her wisdom gained over years of experience working for western families with Maria who is just starting to figure out what to do and how.

It seemed like a good idea but I was nervous that they might not like it. What if there was some sort of fight for seniority? What if they didn't like each other and took it out on us? In my crime show laden mind I imagined everything from cat fights to turf wars.

But, it turns out I had nothing to worry about.

They have spent the last two days laughing and talking. Last night, while there was nothing to do, they sat together, cross legged on the floor and held hands. They pulled colorful scarves over their heads and listened to the evening call to prayer together.

Today we discussed the Bangladeshi New Year Holiday coming up on Wednesday. I wanted them to take the day off. They wanted to work. We compromised that they would just work half the day.

Then they told me that I should wear a sari for the Holiday. I laughed and explained that a midriff bearing outfit was out of the question for a person of my size. To their credit, they were genuinely surprised that I would think so. In fact, in their opinion, what better way to dress people of all sizes than a carefully draped length of ornate fabric. I hadn't considered that logic (and still don't).

It looks like my housekeeping and cooking skills might be obsolete for the next two months. I'm good with that.

8 comments:

Diana said...

I think you'd rock a sari, especially an orange one!

Shoecrazy Sue said...

I LOVE reading about your adventures, such amazing memories as a family!I have to agree with Diana you would rock a sari (must see pictures!)2 house keepers? AHHhh the life, but I think they are getting the best end of the deal to gather compassion, wit and wisdom from one of my favorite women!

jessica said...

I hope you have a lot of books to enjoy while your two angels do the chores. And if you don't, that you can just enjoy only having to take care of the children. It does sound pretty heavenly!

KPackard said...

JEALOUS!! I would love a housekeeper/cook for a while. They both sound like awesome ladies and a lot of fun.

It always exciting to read about your adventures! And you should try a sari at least once--they are so beautiful!

Carrie G said...

I thought when you moved there that a top benefit of living in Bangladesh would be the opportunity to wear a sari without being a poser. And now you have people to show you how to do it right. You should 100% wear a sari.

I think that these ladies are giving you too much time to consider your online scrabble moves. I don't like them at all.

Corri said...

What fun! It's wonderful that you can focus less on cleaning and more on those cute kids.

I'm trying to figure out how to do that without the outside help. I think I just need to be more efficient.

I hope you're having a good week.

Honeycombs said...

You are living my dream.

Carrie G said...

Well, did you sari, or didn't you?