Tuesday, July 6, 2010

New Perspective

When we left B-desh we immersed our tired minds and bodies in the surreal worlds of hotels and amusement parks. It was a startling contrast but we embraced the transition to life with neat orderly lines, flat sidewalks, and green grass.

We've been here for nearly a month and sometimes I have the sensation that we're still walking through an amusement park. It seems too good to be true. The air is clear and quiet, there is green grass and an abundance of trees to climb. Best of all, when we go outside, no one seems to notice us. We're just another nondescript family enjoying this peaceful abundant existence.

I am so grateful for it.

But, I recognize that I'm more grateful for it than I've ever been before. I appreciate things in a new way. It's delightful to fill my water bottle from the tap. It's wondrous to have a digital clock reflect the correct time day in and day out. Children are playing outside!

I'm a big believer in "thank you cards" so here goes:

Dear Bangladesh,
Thank you for letting us stay with you. We learned a lot.
Love, The Blogtistis

3 comments:

jessica said...

I had similar feelings when I got home from my mission, though I'm sure Bangladesh would make me grateful for the little things in Argentina. Whenever I feel like I'm getting selfish, I try to remember that time right after my mission when I was so grateful for all of the little things that seem so insignificant that make life so great here! I'm happy for you and all of your climbing trees and water from the tap.

Jo Lynn said...

I seriously can't imagine, I hear from my friends who served in other countries how grateful they are to be in this country and to enjoy what we all take for granted so often! Great post!

Corri said...

Thanks for sharing. I needed that today. Lately, I've been feeling more humble in many ways, and realizing that after 30 years on this earth, I'm just beginning to scratch the surface of understanding what it means to be grateful and humble.