Friday, October 24, 2008

A Cut and a Shave

Bryce finally got his hair cut by a street barber. We were walking to the swimming pool again in Hanoi and were hailed by this guy, waiting in his chair, for a customer. He told Bryce, with very expressive Vietnamese, that his hair was way too long. After some quick negotiations Bryce sat down.

I was totally impressed with the way this guy used the scissors and the hand powered clippers as if they were extensions of his own body. Titus and Maggie were totally impressed with his broom. It was made of twigs and looked like something from Harry Potter. They took turns riding it up and down the sidewalk.

When all was said and done Bryce wasn’t too impressed at all. The cut included a shave but the straight razor hurt (the barber was pretty frugal with the shaving cream and for some reason shaved Bryce’s forehead…). The thinning scissors also hurt and might have been used too much because now Bryce has some short hair scattered all over his head that insists on sticking straight up. Bryce was also left with the dreaded “shelf”. Not enough blending. I guess it’s a good thing Bryce normally cuts his own hair.

The next day Bryce found out he paid way too much. Three dollars for a cut sounds cheap until you hear you should have only paid one.

3 comments:

jessica said...

I'm impressed that you got a picture. Peter cut his own hair a couple of weeks ago and I'm sure Bryce's looks better than the ever so fabulous "missing chunk" look that Peter is sporting.

{Erica} said...

1. I love his face in the picture..doesn't look too please.

2. Shaved his forehead? I admit, I laughed when I read that.

3. Bret got a hair cut once that made him look like a fuzzy tennis ball...short hairs sticking straightup all over his head. I believe that happened 2 days before our wedding :)

4. You should've taken a picture of the "shelf". :)

5. As always, I enjoyed this post.

KPackard said...

Poor Bryce--I know how that feels to get a bad haircut. Hopefully it will grow out soon, or you know, there are always the buzzers. What does it feel like to have your forehead shaved?!?