Thursday, October 9, 2008

Home School


Have I mentioned before that we’re kind of homeschooling while we’re here. I say “kind of” because I’m not really sure about how this should be done. I don’t feel passionate enough. I lose my limited patience all the time. Shouldn’t this be done by professionals?

Titus is starting to love reading (great, right?) but all of the sudden he hates math. He used to love math. Now he’d rather do reading than math. Have I squished his natural mathematical interest and abilities with mind numbing exercises?

People are a little shocked to find out that these guys aren’t going to school. They always want to know the subjects they are learning at home and want to see their workbooks. I suspect they’re comparing the local education system to ours. I think they come out feeling pretty good about themselves.

I’m pretty sure this should be done by professionals.

7 comments:

Jo Lynn said...

I feel the same way about home schooling. How could I, one woman who only majored in one subject, teach all subjects? I admire you and I'm sure you have more patience than you think and I know your doing a great job!

Ixchelle said...

You are truly wonderful Andra! Please get that phone fixed so we can call you guys.

Honeycombs said...

I am sure it is important that Titus is an excellent reader so that is a positive. I heard a lady today at the farm talking about teaching her 4 kids, YIKES!!! I am sooooo glad for teachers.

Carrie G said...

Titus and Maggie will be able to find Asia on a map, and that's better than 80% of kids in America with professional teachers, right?

At least that's how I justify my feeble attempts at homeschooling.

Andra said...

excellent points. I'm feeling better already.

buffymom 3 said...

have you ever looked up "k12.com"? they have an international online homeschooling section. if prop 8 doesn't pass in CA, that's what i'll be doing, with friends, of course. i've been wanting to homeschool for a long time now and am looking for any excuse.

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. Homeschooling Aidan (kindergarten, nonetheless!) was a big challenge.

Still, you have to admit that there are some great benefits--like being able to match your kids' learning styles and weeding out stuff that you don't want your kids to learn about.

We miss you guys, but are glad to see you are doing well. Love the blog!
-Corri