Sunday, March 14, 2010

Mr Fix It

Yesterday the plumber came to fix the drain in our wet sink (I will not describe the odious concept that is a wet sink since it is probably the one thing in Bangladesh I hate the most). But the plumber comes and I start to feel embarrassed, like someone is playing a joke on me, because he's the same guy that has been introduced to me before as the electrician and carpenter.

I'm not complaining. I think he does a good job, fixing everything from drains to light switches, I'm just not sure how to respond. Do I act as though we've never met before (even though he was here last week) since now he's in his plumber persona? Do I smile and say, "I remember you"?

I suspect they use these titles to reassure me that he knows what he's doing but I think I'd prefer a ubiquitous title like The Fix it Guy or Repairman. It makes me miss Fred, the capable facilities manager at Orchard Park, who didn't see the need to rename himself every time he came to our apartment.

However, lest my mom worry she's raised such an ungrateful child, he did do a good job. He even cleaned out the drain in our shower.

No comments: