Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Squids, Snails, Science.

Every job seems to have its perks. The other day, over a lunch of rice and vegetables (what else?), Bryce realized a major job perk. Access to microscopes!! His class was dissecting animals that day. If we wanted to we could come down and have a peek at the end of the day. You've never seen such excitement at the prospect of seeing some guts.Titus seemed to be a natural with the microscope. He was giving Maggie pointers about how to use it after being an expert himself for only about 15 seconds. I think his favorite part was writing with the squid ink when they dissected the squid. He wrote "He He."
Maggie was amazingly adept with the scalpel and scissors. She followed instructions perfectly. The project brought out her curious side and she kept asking scientific questions like, "Is this one a girl or a boy? How can you tell it's a girl?"

I mostly watched and tried to keep Enzo from touching anything in the lab. Besides the squid, they dissected snails. The snails were alive when they started dissecting them. I'm not sure that's ethical. It might be as bad as that machine that breaks sheep legs so vet students can practice setting them. That still bothers me.

But anyway, the dissection project was very interesting. I love job perks.

1 comment:

{Erica} said...

I loved my microscope my parents bought me one year for Christmas. It came in a kit with slides, droppers, and a book.

I remember looking at everything and anything even a scab from some place on my body...which I can still see in my mind to this day :)

Every time Bret and I read your blog feelings of envy and awe are expressed. Your kids are very lucky to be having such a wonderful adventure.