Monday, November 24, 2008

Weekend Away


Four out of the five members of our family went on our first train ride this weekend! We went to Vinh Friday on the night train. I can't string my thoughts together so I'll just write down some brief memories of our quick trip.

We finally started using the camera function on our phones. Our real camera plummeted to its untimely death in the sleeper car on Friday night. I won't tell you who helped it to plummet.

If he's tired enough Titus can fall asleep on the sidewalk with his head pillowed on his backpack. This new found skill came in handy a couple of times while waiting for trains and buses.

We love the beach. Take us to a beach and we'll be your best friends forever.

Tropical storms sure can deposit a lot of debris

It was a weekend of Ho Chi Minh. Statues, busts, pictures, temples, clocks... We joined the domestic tourists at the sites as they paid homage to their revered leader.

I can tell why everyone here seems to like Enzo. He really is a great baby. He managed to be downright jolly after getting only half of his normal sleep and got yet another woman to offer to keep him when I go back to the US. I said no...again.

There are some people who believe that bringing a certain kind of incense into their house will bring bad luck, or even death. You really have to be careful with incense. I wish we had known that before Maggie and Titus decided to start collecting incense sticks. Sorry doesn't even begin to cover it.

Maggie had the unfortunate, though inevitable, realization that using public bathrooms is quite a risky business. She got stuck behind a rusty lock in a bathroom with worse than dubious cleaning practices and has vowed to hold it from now on. I can see why the Lonely Planet suggests that you might rather pee behind a tree.

It was a relief to get back on the train on Sunday night. We were exhausted. But the trip went by so fast. We blinked and it was over.

2 comments:

Ixchelle said...

For a second I thought that was maggie and titus on their way home to America. Darn!

Ixchelle said...

I like the clocks.