Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Cold

There is no denying it. Enzo has quite a cold. It’s very sad to see him coughing his little heart out. Maggie and Titus are both a little sick themselves but manage to handle things with stoic maturity. But this baby…

He has a shy little look he gives me lately where it seems like he’s saying he’d rather just go to sleep on my shoulder, if that’s okay. Laying down seems to make it harder to breathe, and sleep. It’s nice for me, but I know he’d rather just be done with this thing and stop feeling so miserable.

One bummer about this cold (for me) is that it throws quite a disreputable shadow on my mothering abilities. I’m constantly given parenting advice. I live in a seemingly endless stream of well intentioned suggestions (more clothes, less clothes, more sleep, less food… just leave him in Vietnam and we’ll take care of him). Now that he’s obviously sick this is intensified. Only now there is more ammo.

I'm already pretty hard on myself so when someone looks at me as if to say, “Poor American Mama doesn’t know how to take care of her baby…” I can only agree. I spend most of the day wishing I could be sick instead.

I think he seemed a little bit better today. He smiled.

2 comments:

Shoecrazy Sue said...

My darling friend, if you question your awesome mothering skills, then I am in really deep trouble as a mother. You are honestly one of the most AMAZING moms, gal pals or person I have met. Such fun to read of your adventures and I wish I were there to sample your newly acquired Vietnamese cooking skills, like Bryce I am not picky at all. I hope your are enjoying life and we are all anxious for your return! You are moving back here right??? LOL!

gbrooks said...

Andi, Enzo is so stinkin' cute! Miss you guys. Garin (samlovesgarin.blogspot.com)