Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Book Woes

Last week I decided that the babies' paper shredding book destroying days were over. The remaining books with intact pages were relocated to a high shelf. Now reading time involves me holding the book and pointing out what they should be interested in (kidding!). This is really starting to make Lena mad. The scenario goes something like this.

A book is requested.

I get it off the shelf.

We sit down on the couch and prepare to read.

Lena realizes I'm not giving her the book to hold.

Attempts to commandeer the book are made.

Crying ensues.

Lena gets off the couch and begins an angry back arching march around the room.

Lena proceeds to hit things (so far only things not people) until she gets hurt (wooden bookshelf, cast iron bars, cement walls).

Lena, now hurt, comes back for a cuddle and ends up listening to the rest of the book.

This has been happening with progressive predictability for the last two days. It's both entertaining and alarming. Have I gone too far taking book privileges away? Can I expect an almost two year old to hold a book without attempting to remove it's front and back covers?

3 comments:

KPackard said...

Mmmm, I'd say you made a wise choice. Just when I think Emmett has handle on gently reading books, another one gets ripped up. Maybe she'll get over it with time? Good luck!

Also, I'm so happy you're blogging again! We've missed hearing about you and it's fun to catch up a bit. Have fun abroad!

Carrie G said...

I'm having the same problem with DVDs. Theo's main joy in watching a DVD is taking it out of the case and loading it up, invariably scratching and smudging them along the way. I'm getting tired of the fight, and am starting to think I should just let him ruin them and then I won't be tempted to let him watch them all the time.

Carrie G said...

but books are different. you are right to protect the books.