Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Day in the Life


Enzo and Lena have been pretty good about the change from living in a little cottage on 5 beautiful acres to an apartment without much opportunity to play outside. Unfortunately, they've become really good at watching the two Elmo movies we have. They also like bugging each other in the usual pinching pulling screaming fashion.

Enzo has become quite good at climbing the bars on the windows which means that we have walked into a room to find him clinging to the bars 6 feet off the ground (he hasn't figured out how to climb down).

Lena is passionate about playing with the desk drawers with has resulted in daily incidents of squished fingers (she doesn't seem to realize she's doing it to herself).

They've reset the wireless a couple of times and pulled apart all but two of the board books I brought. I've suspected for a while that I lack the kind of star quality that keeps little people happy day in and day out. Now I'm sure of it. So if you have any ideas how I can keep these guys entertained and out of trouble I'm open to suggestions...

1 comment:

helgaruth said...

I am by no means an expert at keeping little people happy and entertained. I exchanged the joy of staying home with small children for the welcome drudgery of work (that's definitely over-simplified). But I would have to say that building a schedule for your kids is one of the most helpful things. That doesn't mean that things have to be set in stone. Take some time to organize some activities (art&crafts, educational, games, and on the go) that you can rotate into the daily schedule. As they get used to the routine they'll start to help you to do these things. I'd even suggest some sort of an outing. You're a great mom. Trust your instincts. Stretch yourself a little outside of your comfort zone. The principle of the right thing not always being the easiest thing works with raising kids too. Good Luck!