Friday, January 8, 2010

Time changes

We've been here over a month and I'm still confused. It's like everyone in the whole country is on a mission to keep me in the dark about what time it is on what day.

To start with there is the weekend. Instead of the tried and true Saturday/Sunday combo I'm used to Bangladesh goes with Friday/Saturday. It makes sense for a largely Muslim country to want to have their holy day off. I get it. But I can't seem to wrap my head around the work week starting on Sunday.

Then came the time change. They tried Day Light Savings here for the first time this year and weren't sure they liked it so when the time came to change their clocks back they just didn't. Of course it started to be dark early and suddenly all over the country people took matters into their own hands and changed their hours of operation. Pandemonium, or at least widespread confusion, ensued. So the government decided we should all change our clocks back and resume normal hours of operation. And what better time to do this than at 11:59 pm on New Year's Eve?

This week my confusion is worse than ever because the university changed their schedule to accommodate their special visitor. They worked through the "weekend" and will finish the school week on Tuesday (I think) instead. It's nice that they'll have a four day weekend this week, but I might not recover my sense of time.

No comments: