Monday, January 18, 2010

Good Cheese


Yesterday Titus came and snuggled with me on the couch. He relaxed into me in a way I'm so familiar with from Enzo but that I haven't felt with Titus in so long. We talked.

He'd had a good day playing video games and Legos with one of the idolized older boys in the apartment building. They had even gone out to lunch just the two of them. Earlier, when I had given him the money for lunch, he had promised me that he wouldn't just eat naan. But it turned out that the food was too spicy and (tragedy of tragedies) some of it had gotten on to the naan, so he couldn't even eat all of that.

I reminded him that he had to go back to school today. Sigh, "I know," he said, turning over and getting comfortable on the other side. I was dually amazed at how big and how little he seemed.

Together, we tried to remember what activity was supposed to happen at school today. Was it music, library, or PE? No good, Titus still wasn't excited about going.

"I don't want to live here." He said quietly.

"I know."

Frustrated sigh. "It's just... I really wish we could live somewhere that we could always have good cheese, you know?"

"Yeah."

I hope he's having a good day at school today. Crackers in his tiffin box, but no cheese.





3 comments:

APKH said...

should we send you a cheese making book?? :)

Honeycombs said...

Oh, that made me cry. Tell Titus we will feed him all the cheese he wants in June.

Phoebe said...

Sweet Titus. Glad you shared it.