Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Confession Time

I have the impression that some of you might think that I'm an adventurous sort. That I'm a good traveller. That we must really have things together to come out here for a while to live. I shamefully admit that I might have reinforced that idea here and there but it's time to come clean. That's not me.

For months before we came my mantra was, "I don't want to go." So we would go over our options. Again and again we'd wade through the river of reasons the decision had already been made. And almost the instant I recommitted myself to the idea I'd have flashbacks of Vietnam (not the war) and think again, "I don't want to go."

Of course, it is a great opportunity and, as predicted, I don't regret being here. But I'm no great example of traveling genius. In fact, I might just barely fit the definition of a traveler at all since I spend most of my time avoiding meeting the chaotic face of Bangladesh head on.

For example, a true adventurer traveler buys the Bradt guidebook as a weight to assist their dive into a new culture and country. They understand the hip author's derisive comments about touristy hotels with clean sheets. I, on the other hand, look for phrases like "interact with the locals" and automatically want to cross that beach or restaurant off the list.

I do wish I were a little more of the adventurous traveler type. I'm surrounded by cool expats, faculty and staff of the university, that swap developing country stories like baseball cards. I'm awestruck by their confidence and endurance. I wish I were more like that. But it's time to be honest. I'm not.

I just felt like you should know.

6 comments:

Diana said...

You are more adventurous because you got on the plane! You don't give yourself enough credit.

jessica said...

I think anyone who gets on a plane headed across seas with four kids must have at least an inkling of adventure spirit. I also think it's probably pretty normal to feel how you are feeling. Living in a different country can be just plain hard sometimes! Enjoy the good moments and know that I really enjoy hearing about and seeing your adventures here!

Carrie G said...

Don't worry Andi, I never had that impression. :) I think your reaction to moving to Bangladesh was the same one that any sane mother of four would have. But I do have the impression that you're pretty good at making the best of it, (this blog for instance), even if it doesn't always feel that way. It's OK- we all love you no matter how adventurous you are feeling.

Honeycombs said...

Hey, I think I am adventurous for moving to Seattle 12 years ago. You should consider yourself adventurous for living in N.Z. Vietnam and now Bangladesh. We are so happy to read your posts and can't wait for you all to come back closer to home.

Melora said...

Good grief! You are incredibly adventurous or you'd still be on Vashon! And because I am not that adventurous, I love living vicariously through your posts. Thanks.

Stacy said...

I think you're pretty darn amazing. You are there and you are handling it. That's more than I can say for myself if I was there. I love your posts. Hang in there!