Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hotel Living


It’s clear that our daily lives have changed significantly since we’ve been here. But, sometimes it’s hard to tell if this is more related to being in a totally different culture or living in (let’s face it) a hotel.

Since the kids sleep in a different room we wanted to make sure we could lock their door at night. For the first two weeks Bryce would lock them in and then climb from our balcony to theirs (rather heroically) to check on them. We finally had a duplicate set of keys made so we could lock the doors on both of our rooms. Now, every night when we kiss the wee babes goodnight, we make sure they have their water bottles and their copy of the keys.

We eat out a lot since we don’t have a kitchen. When we eat in we have rice (I finally have a rice cooker!) and we do the dishes in the bathtub.

We have a TV in our room that we don’t watch very often. This seems to disturb some people since we have had visitors turn on the TV for us when they arrive. The only English station is “Channel News Asia”, which we’ll sometimes watch. The economic crisis in America sure sounds dire from here.

I sincerely love to do laundry, especially if it involves hanging it out to dry. Alas, there isn’t much room for clothes lines so I have succumbed to the odious task of using hangers and a rack to dry our clothes. I resisted all of those years at the OP, and now, here I am using hangers (I know that sounds complainy. What I meant to say was how lucky I am that I can use the washing machine downstairs instead of hand washing everything).

People frequently sit outside our room and smoke. It is a bit of a shame since it means we really can’t leave the doors open between our two rooms. It’s also a bit of a shame for the lungs.

We do get fresh towels on a daily basis. And the lovely ladies come to coo at Enzo while they mop the floor. Titus is thrilled with his fast growing toothbrush collection (since they’re replaced every day). But still, I think I’ll be happy to leave hotel living behind me.

9 comments:

{Erica} said...

Still...hotel or not...the adventures and memories you're making with your children is worth living in a hotel no?

Thank you for the reminder of how wonderful it is to have a washer and dryer, connected rooms and a home...small though it may be.

ps I about had a heart attack when I found a comment from you on my blog :)

{Erica} said...

one more thing - it's easier said than done really when it comes to saying it's worth living in a hotel room...you're far braver than I would be. Dishes in the bathtub, laundry on hangers..yuck!

Do you like the book in the picture? I read it twice.

Jo Lynn said...

Wow, you guys are amazing. I don't think I could do it, the many sacrifices your making. I can't believe your hubby climbing over the balcony, you should post a picture of that! :) What an experience at the hospital, talk about service! I do appreciate all the amenities which we have at our convenience!

Andra said...

What book? What picture? Sorry about the heart attack :)

APKH said...

eat pray love, its on the coverlet of the bed....:-)

buffymom 3 said...

I remember feeling tired of hotel living at a study abroad trip--and I did wash my clothes by hand. It got old, old, old. There's no place like a home. Just think of the home you'll have after this aw esome adventure!

{Erica} said...

In your picture that accompanies this post. Eat, Pray, Love.

Andra said...

Wow, you have good eyes. Yes, read it and loved it. Unfortunately it was the only book I brought with me to read. What was I thinking! I've been reading the Lonely Planet Travel Book sometimes...
P.S. This comment thing is great. I'm sorry to everyone for lurking on your blogs forever and not commenting. I will change.

Andra said...

Stacy and JoLynn, will you invite me to view your blogs again? Please?