Friday, September 19, 2008

Titus Loves Money

Titus loves money. The morning after we arrived here he made a to-do list that included only “breakfast” and “exchange money”. He had brought four dollars with him. At 16,000 dong per dollar that left him with a whopping 64,000 dong. He was ecstatic since he’s never had 64,000 of anything. He promptly bought a set of pokemon toys (sigh).

I just realized that we’re millionaires in Vietnam!

Things are really cheap here. I bought three fresh loaves of bread here this morning for less than fifty cents. Dinner for the family? Less than four dollars. Diapers (yes! they’re here), 5 dollars for a pack of fifty! We’re a little confused, however, that instant noodles (of the ramen variety) are more expensive here. They are four packs for a dollar. Maybe it’s the three flavoring packets inside that make the difference. (Note: We have eaten these instant noodles a lot since we’ve been here because we can make it in our room, so if you hear me complain about noodles it’s probably this kind and not the delicious authentic kind made by real Vietnamese cooking pros).

5 comments:

jessica said...

When you get a moment, you'll have to let me know how you ended up as millionaires in Vietnam! What are you guys doing there? Wow, whatever it is, I'm impressed!

Rachel said...

i love reading your blog, andi! and i was thinking they were crazy davis poisonous toads at orchard park. wow! i was wrong. let me know when you get back. this is amazing! you go, girl!

{Erica} said...

I can't wait to show Bret...we'll be living vicariously through your travels.

Someday I wish to take my kids abroad...someday.

Belated congratulations to Bryce and the whole family regarding school.

I enjoyed looking at pictures of the kids. They are all so big!

I am VERY excited you have started a blog (clever name) and will check back often.

Jo Lynn said...

Oh my gosh I am so excited about your blog. It's the new way to keep in touch with one another....and your blog is awesome. I can't believe people have tried to take off with your kids, that's really scary and getting yelled out because Enzo's not dressed appropriately (in their mind), that's crazy.
It sounds like you guys are having quite the adventure, I think it's awesome! We miss you guys here in Davis and I look forward to reading your posts.

Stacy said...

Andie, you have such a talent for writing. I think it's funny that you say you don't know if you have much interesting blog and yet yours is the only blog that I have read every single post! What an amazing adventure! You are so brave. Part of me thinks I would love to do it but I know I am too chicken! I am also very excited to keep checking in to see how you are doing. Take care!