Friday, September 19, 2008



This is the grandmother of one of our friends. We ate dinner at their house the other night and she was such a sweet matriarchal presence. She had seven children and five of them were at the dinner. She held Enzo most of the night as she oversaw the dinner with a huge grin.

You might notice that her grin exposes her rather black teeth. This is a common sight among the much older women here. I read yesterday that a long time ago (before WWII at least) they painted their teeth to stain them black (with a paint made with a mixture of bugs and plants) in a beautification process. White teeth were thought to be animalistic. But black teeth were (obviously) quite stunning. I guess that explains why these older women never shy away from smiling hugely at us.

3 comments:

{Erica} said...

Thanks for sharing about the teeth. I love learning things like that. She's a very beautiful woman and her kindness shines through her truthful smile don't you think?

Ixchelle said...

Thanks for explaining the black teeth. Are you thinking of dying your teeth so you can look super cool? We miss you guys so much. I need a hug from my sweet friend Andie. I love you! Let's set up a time to call each other. Please email me your phone number. Love you again.

Pao said...

Dear Andi:
I love your blog! The blog's name and the Stories I'm so glad that you are writing the adventures.Joshua really misses Titus, and we miss you guys!What a great oportunity to be able to go there,good luck with everything and to Doctor Brice to :)