Thursday, September 25, 2008

Mosquitoes


Vietnam is as hot and humid as I’ve always been led to believe. Even today, when the banana trees are swaying in a constant breeze, the air is thick and heavy with damp heat. Massive rain will clear out the air briefly and then the humid fog will roll back in. This obviously makes a veritable haven for our mosquito friends. I say friends because I think these are the most polite and considerate biting bugs I’ve ever met.

We each woke up the first morning we were here with about 10 bites each. That might not sound very considerate but I was up a few times during the night with Enzo and never once heard the haunting sound of an upcoming bite. Over the past month we have decreased our daily bites (through a/c and some charming mosquito nets), but we still get them occasionally. Still, I have never heard or seen them coming. It’s as if they’re saying to each other, “We need to bite the poor blokes but there’s no need to make it worse by being loud and obnoxious.” When I notice a swelling little bite I feel more relief that I never heard it coming than any real irritation that it's there. So, thank you dear little Vietnamese mosquitoes. I appreciate your consideration.

1 comment:

{Erica} said...

When we would go to Tahiti for the Summer we would initially get a ton of bites. The longer we were there the fewer bites we got. I think it's because we started to smell like the locals (eating their food, washing our clothes in the same water and soap, etc). I am sure you've seen the green coils (they don't smell good AT ALL but work very well) that you can burn in your house....